31.10.10

all-hallows-even


Hubby and I never really do anything to celebrate Halloween.  Actually, even growing up Halloween was not my favourite holiday - I much preferred to stay home, all warm and cozy, rather than trick-or-treating.  However, every year, I donned my costume (Catwoman = Best. Costume. Ever.) and braved the cold in search of delicious treats!  The best part was coming home and spreading all your goods over the floor and surveying your bounty.

As I've gotten older, I much prefer the "simple" Halloween (hanging out at home and answering the door for little trick-or-treaters) rather than attending a party at a friend's house.  Although, I do have to admit that I'm looking forward to the day when I can live vicariously through my children and help them pick out costumes and take them door to door to collect their sweets.

This year Hubby and I will be spending Halloween with family at his parent's house, handing out treats to the ghosts, goblins, and little princesses of the neighbourhood - and I can't wait :)

So, here is my Halloween treat for you, not candy, but some festive trivia:
The word Halloween is first attested in the 16th century and represents a Scottish variant of the fuller All-Hallows-Even ("evening"), that is, the night before All Hallows Day - neat!

No comments: