a day in the life

The alarm goes off at 5:30 am and I slowly open my eyes and feel the weight of two cats (one big, one little) sleeping on me.  I roll over and hit the snooze button.  And again, and again, and again.  Finally, just before 6 am I roll myself out of bed and hop into the shower.  After I'm dried, call out to Hubby to let him know that he's got to get up.  I throw on my bathrobe and head to the kitchen to eat my breakfast (lately, a bowl of rice krispies and a cup of tea) and make our lunches for the day. Next, I make my self pretty.  Do my hair, put on some make up, and get dressed.  Then, Hubby and I are out the door.  He drops me off at the bus stop with a kiss.  I board the bus, listen to my iPod, and enjoy my stress-free commute to work.  I secretly love bus time.  20 uninterrupted minutes of me and my music, and the occasional crazy drunk person, but that's rare, at least in the mornings.

not really the breakfast of champions, but it's yummy!

I usually get to my desk in between 7:30 and 7:45.  I turn on my computer, grab another cup of tea or a glass of water, and check my emails.  I love being in the office early.  It's usually just me, and maybe one or two others.  I enjoy the quiet before the storm of activity.  I take this time to plan my day with tasks that I want to accomplish and check my personal emails and catch up on my blog reading.  Around 8 am more people start coming in to start their work days and the office starts to feel busy again.  By 9 am the office is a flurry of activity.  People are in and out of each other's offices talking about files, phone are ringing, and the emails start flying in.  I slowly chip away at my "to do" list, but I'm constantly being pulled away to work on other tasks, answer my phone, or respond to client emails.   It's never the same day twice.  Makes for an interesting job, that's for sure!  Before I even know it, it's lunch time.  I eat at my desk (usually) while reading emails, working on a project.  Then, my favourite thing, I take a walk.  Sometimes to the mall to escape the rain, sometimes to Robson Street to soak up the nice weather, or sometimes down to the waterfront so enjoy the ocean.  After my walk, I'm refreshed and ready to dominate the last two hours of my work day.

my view for 8 hours a day, 5 days a week!

At 4 pm I shut down my computer, say good bye to my co-workers and head for the bus.  The bus drops me off and I run to Hubby, waiting at the bus stop to pick me up and take me home.  During our car ride home we talk of our days and what's new since we last talked.  We get home and are greeted at the door by our furry friends.  If I'm good I'll change into my lululemon uniform (I have a serious obsession) and head out to Jazzercise.  For an hour I'm marching, jumping, and grapevineing my heart out.  Afterwards I FEEL GREAT.  I head back home and enjoy the rest of the evening relaxing with my Hubby and the meow meows.  If I'm bad, I make a simple dinner for Hubby and I, and then relax on the couch.  I try to be good most of the time, but it's all about balance.

There you have it, floks!  My typical day!  If you know me, you know it's hard to get me to do anything on a week night.  What can I say?  I cherish my weekly routine.  Fridays and weekends are for hanging out with friends, going out for dinner, and being spontaneous.  Weeknights are for routine; for going to bed at 9 pm.  I know, I'm an old lady...

PS:  Thanks to my SIL for today's post idea!

No comments: