14.12.10

an open book

I have a confession to make:  I love books.  I could spend hours upon hours in Chapters just soaking up all the book-y goodness.  I know, I'm such a nerd.  However, the surprising thing is that as much as I love books, I don't read for pleasure all that often.  I blame school.  When I have to read 80 pages per week about exciting stuff like Aboriginal land claims I really don't want to pick up another book.  That's my excuse and I'm stickin' to it.  Lately, however, I've been reading non-stop.  To me, there is nothing better than shutting off the television and curling up with my meow meow, a cup of tea, and my delicious book.  Bliss.

During my break from school, I've decided to make a conscious effort to turn off the television and get reading.  It's amazing to me how much more relaxed and calm I feel after reading a chapter in my book as opposed to watching some mindless reality show; go figure.  I've only been out of school for a week (not even!), and I'm already one book in.  After watching the new Harry Potter movie, I couldn't resist reading the last book again.  Say what you want about the Harry Potter books, but don't knock 'em until you've read them.  They are so beautifully written and are filled with so much symbolism that you get completely engrossed in the world of Harry Potter.  They are amazing books.



After finishing Harry Potter, I moved on to a book that one of my co-workers lent me:  The Suite Française by Irène Némirovsky.  I'm a total history buff, and a sucker for any books about WWII; I just started the book last night, but I know that I'm going to love this book.



For me, the best thing about books is the escape; an open book is an adventure just waiting to happen.  For however long I'm reading, I get to escape my world completely immerse myself into the lives and stories of the characters.  I'm not thinking about our mortgage, work, or what I'm going to make for dinner; I become part of the story, part of the characters, and that's something that television will never be able to give me.

No comments: