7.12.10

tell me more, tell me more

I recently found my self in a social situation where somebody I don't really know asked me to tell him about myself.  Awesome.  My mind instantly went blank and the most interesting thing that I could say was "I grew up in Squamish".  Riveting.  I've been thinking about this situation a lot over the past couple of days (I'm such an idiot), and, in doing so, I realized that it's really, really hard to tell people about yourself.  It also made me think about this silly thing that went Facebook viral a couple of years ago; it was simple, all you had to do was write 25 things about yourself.  I LOVED reading all the lists, and writing my own; I was always surprised to learn something new about my friends.

So, I decided to do it again, using different things about me.  Here is what I came up with:
  1. At times, I can be a pretty jealous person.  I really never thought that I was, but lately I've found myself becoming really jealous of others. However, I've also found something that combats the jealousy: admitting it.  Yep, if I "own" my jealousy and actually admit to others that I'm completely jealous, all those envious feelings fade, and I can just be happy for the person.  Lululemon, you're right again: Jealousy works the opposite way you want it to.
  2. Things that scare you are actually the best things for you.  Example: Pie crust.  Once I accomplished something that scared me, I had so much confidence that I felt that I could do anything; ok, maybe not anything, but you get the point.
  3. I've changed a lot in the past number of years.  I'm different.  My priorities are different.  I'm a (eek!) grown up!  I've definitely changed for the better; I'm more confident in who I am, and I'm an all-around happier person.
  4. I'm completely addicted to my iPhone, which makes me think about those families on Oprah who give up their "stuff" for 48 hours...I just might have to challenge myself to leave my phone at home for a day.  This is making me squirm just thinking about it...
  5. Having a creative outlet is awesome for my soul.  I never realized how much I actually enjoy writing until I started blogging.
  6. I'm a total cat person.  I never thought that I would see the day, but it's here.
  7. I'm constantly trying to be a better person.  Not that I think I'm a terrible person, by any means, but I do believe that there is always room for improvement.
  8. Even though marriage doesn't really change anything, I can't imagine anything better (except for kids).  Ever since Hubby and I have gotten married, things are the same as before, except better.  I can't explain it, and I have no idea what it is, but something is different, and it's awesome.  Trust me, it's not all sunshine and rainbows, but it is pretty amazing.
  9. I need to travel.  My travel bug grows each day, and I can't wait until 2012 when Hubby and I can actually get the heck outta here!
  10. Material things don't make make me a happier person.  Period.  Would my life be any different without my Jimmy Choo shoes, Macbook, or Coach purse?  Nope.  Not even a little bit.  Now, if only I can remember this as I'm standing in the store drooling over the beautiful shoes...
  11. I ache to be a parent.  I want to have kids.  Right now.  However, it really, really scares me.  What will happen to my job, my career, while I'm on maternity leave?  How will we be able to support ourselves, and our family, while I'm not working?  I don't do well when I don't get a good night's sleep, how will I ever survive as a parent?  I know, I need to stop worrying; we will survive, and my job will be here when I come back.
  12. If you haven't already noticed, I love commas and exclamation points!  I may or may not have a problem!  I also have mad respect for the semicolon.

yep, total cat lover now


So, I didn't exactly get 25 things, but I thought that 12 was pretty good.  I also realized that most of these aren't really random things about me, but things that I've learned since writing my previous list.  It's actually kind of neat to see how much I've changed in the past couple of years.

No comments: