12.3.11

grandma classy

Sometimes I think that I should have been born in a different time period.  Maybe the 1920s or 30s?  In case you haven't noticed, I kind of love the homemaker, dinner party hostess with the mostess role; I think I would have thrived in a time period where staying home and looking after our children would have been my expected job.  At the same time, however, I LOVE working.  See what I'm dealing with?  I'm a mess.

Yesterday, I got to live the homemaker life, minus the children (wait, do cats count?).  Yes, I had the day off, and Hubby was out working hard to bring home the bacon.


As I've been spending a lot of quality time with the meow meows in the house this weekend, there is something that keeps catching my eye:  a handwritten note to Hubby from his grandmother.  As I keep glancing at the note, I think about what a nice gesture this was.  Would anybody from my generation think of handwriting a note to somebody and sending it in the mail?  Doubtful.

totally grandma classy


This past summer, Hubby worked out of town for two months.  During the time we were apart, we would regularly talk on the phone, text, and email, but the most treasured communication was the handwritten letters that we sent each other.  It's such a treat to pull them out of their tucked away places and re-read them over and over again.

I feel like the handwritten note is a lost art form, of sorts.  It has, sadly, been replaced by the dreaded email.  Don't get me wrong - I basically email all day, every day - but I feel like I owe it to the generations before us to keep the classiness of the handwritten note alive.  I want to have that "grandma classy" touch and send handwritten notes of love and encouragement to those who mean so much to me.  I want to get in touch with my inner 1930s lady.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Evan and I leave post it notes for each other.. I look forward to them so much. You know what is amazing...typewritten letters...Oh dear my nerdom is calling. I adore this post.and concur with the inner 1930s lady! I read my grandmas old love letters all the time and get lost in nostalgia