23.3.11

i have a dream

Most of the time I feel like I'm 19 years-old.  I don't feel like a married woman working in career; I feel like a young girl fresh out of high school - which I guess I still kind of am, in some respects.  Lately, though, I've felt much older.

Remember my baby brain?  Well, it hasn't gone away - not even close to going away, actually.  So, Hubby and I decided to take a look at our finances and make sure that we'll be financially ready for a little one in a few year's time.  After meeting with our financial advisor (how grown up does that sound?),  we discovered that we are.  Actually, we could have one now and we'd be okay.  Man, that was a HUGE weight lifted off of our shoulders. 

After we were done at the bank and got into the car, Hubby and I both had huge smiles on our faces.  We couldn't stop grinning about the fact that our hopes and dreams were finally coming true:  Hubby recently got a new job (one that he has been wanting for a number of years now), we realized that we will likely be able to afford a town home when we sell our condo in a few years, and I'm (hopefully) going to be getting promoted this summer once I finish my schooling.  Three words:  life is good.


Having all this swirling around in my head got me thinking:  why do I ever doubt our dreams?

Six years ago we had a dream.  A big one.  We dreamt the one day would would be able to buy a condo.  It was a good dream, but it felt so far away.  Then, a couple years and a trip to the bank later, our dream was coming true.  We bought a condo.  After we moved in, we had new dreams; dreams of new jobs and marriage.  Eventually, those dreams also became reality.  I've recently realized that nothing we have ever desired to have has been held from us.  Sure, we don't get it the next day, but eventually, our dreams become our reality.  Maybe we're lucky in this respect - does anybody else feel like this - like they get everything they want?  Don't get me wrong, we do work hard to have these dreams come true, they don't just get handed to us, but we still do feel very blessed.


he may be crazy, but he's my dream come true!

Through most of these dreams, however, I've doubted them along the way.  I never thought that we able to buy a condo, much less a town home.  I have been worried that my job wasn't taking me anywhere, and that I'd be stuck scanning and filing forever.  I hoped that Hubby would be able to have the career that he wanted, but I didn't know if it was possible.  Even now, I catch myself thinking that we'll never be able to afford a baby, or be able to conceive.

Hubby and I are both worriers by nature (him probably more than me), but we need to stop; we need to have faith.  Faith that our dreams, no matter how big, will one day become a reality.

We have love, and a great life together.  The only question is:  now that all our current dreams are coming true, what's next?

3 comments:

Jen said...

What's next ?

I think a lovely trip to Europe, furthering your careers even more, maybe a house purchase and hopefully a baby for Auntie Jen :)

I think everyone is a worrier. But if you didn't worry, how would anything be a challenge? Just remember, life isn't supposed to be easy. Just gotta take it as it comes.

Taren said...

I think knowing that things will work out in the end is something that comes with age and experience. I used to worry a LOT more than I do now. I have realised that if I really want something and I'm willing to do the work, it will happen! Everything always works out, and if it doesn't, I'm either supposed to do something differently or I'm not ready for it yet.
BTW, I am reading Smart Cookies for Couples right now which is a money book, and it's all about how couples can work together for goals (like Europe!) and how we're much stronger as couples financially, I think you'd like it!

Amanda said...

Thanks for the advice ladies. Challenges are good, and life isn't always easy.

@ Jen - you got it exactly, Europe, house, and baby, hopefully in that order too!

@ Taren - I'll have to check out that book, it sounds like a goodie!