12.1.11

squashed dinner

Sometimes, you don't feel like having dinner for dinner. Sometimes you're not hungry enough for a full dinner, and you just want to snack on something. That's the great part about being an adult. You can eat what you want, when you want! That was me last night. I didn't want anything big for dinner, so what did I do? I squashed dinner (literally!) and made zucchini fritters!



My mom found this recipe about a year ago from a magazine (I can't remember which one), and I wanted to share it because we like it so much! Enjoy!

ZUCCHINI FRITTERS
  • 2 zucchini, grated
  • 2 green onions, chopped
  • 1 1/2 cups cheddar cheese, grated
  • 1 egg white
  • 1/4 cup cornstarch
  • generous pinches of salt and pepper
Pre-heat oven to 400F. After grating the zucchini, dump onto a couple sheets of paper towel. Cover with more paper towel and press to remove excess moisture. Transfer to medium bowl and sprinkle with cornstarch, mix until incorporated. Add cheese and onion, and mix some more. Whisk egg white and add to mixture, along with salt and pepper. Mix until combined. Line baking sheet with parchment paper, and drop 1/4 cup of the mixture onto the parchment to make fritters, until all the mixture is gone (I got 9 fritters). Bake for 15 minutes, flip, and bake again until golden and slightly cripsy (about another 8 minutes). Let stand a couple minutes before serving.

SAUCE
  • 1/4 cup mayonnaise
  • 1 tablespoon lemon juice
  • 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
Mix all ingredients together until combined. Add more or less of anything to suit your taste!

PS: Even if you're not a zucchini fan don't be scared to try these, you can't really even taste the zucchini, just the cheese and onion.

PPS: The sauce is really good, you can eat them without it, but I don't recommend it. The recipe makes WAY more sauce than we actually used, so I will half it next time...

No comments: