25.11.12

sunday suppers - turkey corn chili

Let me guess, when you think of football the next thing you think of is probably food and most of all: chili.





Today, we're watching the Grey Cup.  Sure, our beloved Lions aren't playing for the 100th Grey Cup, but we did wit it last year, so I'm not THAT sad about it.  Either way, turkey corn chill topped with shredded cheddar cheese, green onions and sour cream and served with a warm cornbread muffin makes me happy.  Even happy enough to sit through a lip-synched Justin Bieber performance.

TURKEY CORN CHILI
adapted from Rachel Ray

I wanted a recipe that wasn't too bean-heavy, yet contained a healthy dose of veggies.  When I found this recipe, it was perfect.  We don't usually eat ground beef (we usually sub ground turkey instead) so the fact that this recipe called for turkey was a bonus.

I found this could have been better with a little more spice, but since I wasn't just cooking for myself, I decided to keep it on the milder side.  It was hearty, delicious, and perfect for an afternoon of football.

1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
3 cloves of garlic, minced
1 large bell pepper, red or green, chopped
1 bay leaf, fresh or dried
1 pound ground turkey
1 1/2-2 tablespoons chili powder
1 1/2-2 tablespoons ground cumin
several drops of hot sauce
coarse salt
2 cups frozen corn kernels
1 (32 ounce) can chunky-style crushed tomatoes
green onions, shredded cheddar cheese, and sour cream for serving

In a dutch oven (or a large pot) heat the olive oil over medium-high and then add onion, garlic, and ground turkey.  Cook for a couple minutes and then add the pepper and continue cooking until the turkey is cooked through.  Add bay leaf, chili powder, cumin, and hot sauce.  Season with a little salt too.

Add the corn and tomatoes.  Taste and add more seasonings, if needed.  Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for 7 to 10 minutes. 

Ladle into bowls.  Top with a dollop of sour cream, cheese, and green onions.  Serve to your foot-balling loving friends.

1 comment:

robyNadine said...

Mmm I love chili and make a mean one myself. I am going to try this Turkey Chili recipe next month. I will let you know how it turns out!