20.11.11

sunday suppers - kale chips

[Today, instead of a supper, you get a snack!  Why?  Well, tonight I'm not cooking supper, instead, I'll be at BC Place cheering on the BC Lions as they fight for their spot in the Grey Cup!  Go Lions Go!]

I have a new snacking obesession.   Potato chips.  Okay, okay, I know that potato chips are not going to help me achieve my goal.  So I found a way to enjoy them, without making my waistline larger.

Kale chips.




They're not potatoes at all, but they taste EXACTLY like them when they are drizzled with olive oil and a little bit of salt and then baked to perfection.  I think kale chips have changed my life.  At least when it comes to snacking, anyway.



Promise me something.  Next time you're at the grocery store, pick up a bunch of kale (it's cheap) and make these.  If you like potato chips, I promise you won't be disappointed.  Especially since you're eating your veggies without even thinking about it.



KALE CHIPS
from Smitten Kitchen

1 bunch of kale
1 tablespoon olive oil
salt

Preheat oven to 300.  Wash and dry the kale.  Chop off the stems and cut out the tough centre ribs.  You don't want to eat those parts, they're very bitter.  Rip the leaves into whatever size you want your chips to be. - mine we're one the medium/small side.  Toss with olive oil and salt and then lay on a baking sheet (I used two).  Pop into the oven for 20 minutes.

After 20 minutes take out of the oven and eat.  I'm not sure how long they'll last as they were gone right away in our house.  Even Hubby said "I don't know if I like them" and then proceeded to continue eating all of them.  I think he like them.

No comments: